MetroFresh provides catering, cleaning and caretaking services to schools across the borough. Every day, we serve over 23,000 meals in nursery, primary, secondary and special schools and have one of the highest school meal uptakes in Greater Manchester. We are also the only school caterer in the North West that sits on the All Party Parliamentary Group for School Food. Our commitment:
We want to help our communities to be healthy and active, protect our children and create opportunities to support each other and believe in our borough.
- Providing a high quality, value for money service
- Being customer focused
- Supporting healthy eating activities
- Encouraging children to try new foods
- Giving something back to the community.
We have a reputation that is built on providing a quality food service, cost effectively and with the environment in mind. We use local and regional suppliers to minimise food miles, ensuring the best use of sustainable resources and supporting the local economy.
We will work in partnership with schools to recycle more to support the environment and The Deal, the council’s informal contract with residents to improve Wigan borough. Our key suppliers Hopwells – Burscough, Lancashire Morris Bakery - Chorley, Lancashire MA Forshaw’s – Burscough, Lancashire Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation – Wakefield
- All our fresh vegetables are farmed locally
- 95% of our school food suppliers are classed as local, providing fresh and seasonal produce wherever possible
- 80% of our food purchases are produced by local businesses
- Our fresh meat products are ethically sourced
- We are one of only a handful of local authority caterers to hold the Good Egg Award which recognises companies that use cage free eggs or egg products.
Our annual packages and adhoc services
Food for Life Catering Mark
The Catering Mark provides an independent endorsement that food providers are taking steps to improve the food they serve, using fresh ingredients which are free from trans fats, harmful additives and GM, and better for animal welfare.
We have recently achieved the Bronze Award Food for Life Catering Mark. This gives us the independent recognition that our school meals are freshly prepared, using environmentally sustainable and seasonal ingredients.